This qualification aims to enable learners to develop suitable and sufficient skills to communicate with Deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL) on everyday topics in accordance with the National Language Standards at Level 1.
At the end of the qualification, learners will be able to:
- Understand narrations of simple information presented to them in BSL;
- Develop the ability to describe events, issues or matters in BSL, particularly at work, school or college;
- Engage in simple conversation with Deaf people, both in social situations and in the workplace or at school/college.
The qualification is divided into three units as follows:
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Unit Description|
|IBSL 1A1||Receptive Skills in BSL||See Unit IBSL1A1 specification|
|IBSL 1A2||Descriptive Skills in BSL||See Unit IBSL1A2 specification|
|IBSL 1A3||Conversational Skills in BSL||See Unit IBSL1A3 specification|
Note: All units are marked externally by IBSL
Length of Course
The course will consist of 66 GLH plus 24 hours of additional study outside the classroom. This will include access to online learning resources provided by Signworld.
Guided Learning Hours
Additional Study Hours
Total Learning Time
Credit Value at
The following areas will be covered:
- Meeting people;
- Personal information;
- Calendar events;
- Daily events;
- Food & drink;
The Level 1 BSL is suitable for those who:
- Wish to acquire basic British Sign Language skills for the purpose of holding simple communication with Deaf people, including by family, friends and colleagues;
- Need to acquire BSL skills as part of a programme of study or professional development;
- Are studying for personal development with a view to future employment.
No previous experience of BSL is required for entry to this programme leading to the Level 1 Award in BSL Studies.
All the evidences, apart from the ‘live’ assessment, will be collected into a simple coursework file (or e-file if preferred).
|Unit Code||Assessment No.||Assessment Method||Marked By|
|IBSL 1A1||1A1||Video Receptive||IBSL|
|IBSL 1A2||1A2||Descriptive Conversation||IBSL|
|IBSL 1A3||1A3||Pre-arranged Conversation||IBSL|
Learners will be expected to purchase resources for their coursework file.
What are the final qualifications?
Level 1 BSL
Each unit is assessed separately. Learners are required to achieve all three units to be awarded the full Level 1 Award in British Sign Language Studies.
Upon completion of this qualification, learners may progress as follows:
- IBSL Level 2 Certificate in British Sign Language Studies